|John Henry's Lost Hammer|
The hammer on the hollow box around the middle downward door.
December 26, 1993
Billy & Kim
John Henry's Lost Hammer is the fifth episode of Legends of the Hidden Temple.
Moat CrossingOne partner from each team had an "Aztec footboard". When Kirk said go, the first partner of each team paddled across the moat. Once across, they climbed out onto the other side. That was the signal for the second partner to pull the footboard back to the other side, jump on, grab the rope, swing the footboard into the water, and pull themselves across the Moat. When the second teammate reached the other side, it was his job to hit the gong.
Steps of KnowledgeThe men who drove the spikes and laid the rails for the Great American Railroad were called gandy dancers, and the biggest and strongest of them all was John Henry. One day, the railroad foreman came up to him with a stranger and said "John Henry, Mr. Jones here says his steam engine can outdrill even my best man, and I aim to find out. I'm going to put you up ahead in the tunnel there, with you on one side and the steam drill on the other. We'll see who drives further." John Henry slung his hammer over his shoulder. "That'll be me," he said, and followed the foreman up the line.
John Henry took his position. "Go!" shouted the foreman, and John Henry started swinging with all his might. The steam drill chugged and drilled, and when the smoke cleared, John Henry had driven fifteen feet through the rock, and the steam drill had only gone nine. The other gandy dancers cheered and lifted John Henry on their shoulders. The railroad retired John Henry's hammer, and it found its way to the Temple.
|Steps of Knowledge Results|
|Was John Henry a…?||
||Silver Snakes (Ganky Dancer - Wrong Answer; Not one of the three choices)|
|Orange Iguanas (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Which of these is the name of the tunnel where John Henry was working when he raced the steam engine?||
||Orange Iguanas (Correct - 1 step left)|
|Was the Big Bend Tunnel in…?||
||Orange Iguanas (Swept - Advanced to Temple Games)|
|Which group of immigrants was largely responsible for completing the western section of the Transcontinental Railroad?||
||Red Jaguars (Wrong Answer)|
|Purple Parrots (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Is the person who drives the train called the…?||
||Silver Snakes (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Which of these was a famous engineer?||
||Silver Snakes (Correct - 1 step left)|
|Is the individual who collects your train ticket called the…?||
||Red Jaguars (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Which of these is the name of an urban train that runs underground?||
||Silver Snakes (Correct - Advanced to Temple Games)|
The Silver Snakes are 11-year-old Kim and 13-year-old Billy. The Orange Iguanas are 12-year-old Julia and 13-year old Walter.
Escape the Tunnel (Dragon Tunnel)
One player from each team had to wriggle through the tunnel on her stomach. The only problem was that the tunnel was filled with foam rocks they had to push through. They had one minute; the first person to get through the tunnel and back - or the player furthest along - won. Kim beat Julia and made it through and back in 22 seconds.
Railroad Tunnel (Peanut Shaft)
Starting at the base of the shaft, each player filled his bucket with rocks, climbed to the top, and dropped them into the bin. Then they climbed back down and started again. The player with the most rocks in his bin at the end of one minute won. Billy beat Walter 7-4.
East Meets West (Bungee Soap Line)
When Kirk said "go", the partner on the east side started with a golden spike on his helmet; both partners then pulled themselves toward the middle. Then the east partner passed the spike to his partner on the west, who slid back and dropped it into her bucket. Then the first partner slid back to his side, grabbed another spike, and repeated the process. The team with the most spikes in the west bucket at the end of one minute won. The Silver Snakes tied the Orange Iguanas in this game; both teams had three spikes.
|Temple Games Results|
|Team||Game 1||Game 2||Game 3||Pendants Won|
|Orange Iguanas||Lost||Lost||Tied||1 Pendant|
|Silver Snakes||Won||Won||Tied||2 Pendants|
Temple RunAlthough it appears the team made decent progress towards the artifact, this temple run was absolutely pitiful. Kim obviously had never heard of an actuator, so when she was in the Wall Climb, she knocked on doors helplessly until Kirk shouted "push the buttons" loud enough for her to hear. She chose to go into the Heart Room, where she was caught by a very late temple guard, and in the Throne Room below, was taken out (thankfully). Billy had his route all planned out in anticipation, and actually made it quite far in the minute he had. But even then, he had no prayer of making it to the artifact in time as the timer hit zero right when he made it up to the Room of Three Torches.
|Temple Run Results|
|Reached the Artifact||No|
|Method of Loss||Failed Acquisition|
|Temple Guard Locations|
- This is the only episode where a team was disqualified in the Moat Crossing. However, in The Applewood Amulet of Emiliano Zapata, the Silver Snakes were sent back by mistake and replaced the Blue Barracudas in the Steps of Knowledge.
- This is the first episode where an artifact is placed in the treasury area (the room space that featured the Room of the Golden Idols, the Treasure Room, the Treasury of Golden Orbs, the King's Storeroom in Season 2, and the Room of the Ancient Warriors).
- This is only the episode to feature an artifact in the Room of the Golden Idols.
- This is the first episode where the Orange Iguanas and the Silver Snakes competed against each other in the Temple Games.
- When Kirk was explaining the third temple game, the music did not play and a man can be seen in the artifact's room.
- When Kim enters the Heart Room, Kirk mentions it as "The Shrine" (The Shrine is obviously the Shrine of the Silver Monkey).
- This is the first episode a contestant chooses to enter Olmec's Temple from the upper entrance.
- This is the first episode a contestant is removed from the Temple in the bottom of the central shaft.
- This is the first episode where a contestant plows through the Stone Wall.
- This is the only episode where the Silver Snakes participated in the temple run with two full pendants and were unable to acquire the artifact.