|John Sutter and the Map to the Lost Gold Mine|
The Map to the Lost Gold Mine atop the sarcophagus.
October 31, 1993
Damian & Jennifer
One partner from each team had an "Aztec footboard". When Kirk said go, the first partner of each team paddled across the moat. Once across, they climbed out onto the other side. That was the signal for the second partner to pull the footboard back to the other side, jump on, grab the rope, swing the footboard into the water, and pull themselves across the Moat. When the second teammate reached the other side, it was his job to hit the gong.
Steps of Knowledge
Long ago, on a river in North California, the owner of a mill saw something shiny in the water, and when he picked it up, saw that it was pure gold. That lucky man was John Sutter. Within nine months, over ten thousand other prospectors came to California from all over the world to pan for gold. Some went around South America in creaky old ships. Their food was filled with bugs, and their ships were often wrecked in terrible storms. Others took a shorter route through Panama, battling their way overland through swamps and jungle, and over the mountains to Panama City where they hopped a ship to California. Some went by wagon train through Indian territory and Death Valley. By 1850, most of the gold was gone. Unfortunately, John Sutter, the man who started it all, died penniless because he'd lost the secret map to his mine.
|Steps of Knowledge Results|
|In 1849, was the gold rush to…?||
||Purple Parrots (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|To get to California, did some prospectors have to travel around…?||
||Purple Parrots (Wrong Answer)|
|Which of these cities was founded as a result of the Gold Rush?||
||Red Jaguars (Wrong Answer)|
|Blue Barracudas (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Were the miners who went to California called…?||
||Red Jaguars (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Which of these deserts did some prospectors cross to join in the Gold Rush?||
||Blue Barracudas (Correct - 1 step left)|
|Instead of sailing around South America, did some 49ers…?||
||Silver Snakes (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Which of these was eventually cut through Panama to speed up ocean travel?||
||Silver Snakes (Correct - 1 step left)|
|Was gold first found in California at…?||
||Red Jaguars (California - Wrong Answer; Not one of the three choices)|
|Blue Barracudas (Correct - Advanced to Temple Games)|
|Which of these words is a term for a gold strike?||
||Purple Parrots (Wrong Answer)|
|Which of these was the location of a second American gold rush that took place in the 1800s?||
||Purple Parrots (Correct - 1 step left)|
|Which of these is the most basic way to get gold from a river?||
||Silver Snakes (Correct - Advanced to Temple Games)|
The Blue Barracudas are 13-year-olds Jennifer and Damian. The Silver Snakes are 12-year-old Brooke and 11-year-old Perry.
Pan for Gold (Dragon Tunnel)
When Kirk said "go", one player from each team plowed through the tunnel and made his way to the end. Then he gathered as many gold rocks as he could in his arms and pushed them back through the tunnel. Then, he tossed them in his bucket and went back for more. The player with the most gold rocks in his bucket at the end of one minute won. Damian and Brooke each collected four rocks; this resulted in a tie. However, while Kirk stated that both player gotten four rocks in the bucket, Brooke had actually gotten five rocks in her bucket.
Gold Mine (Peanut Shaft)
In this game, each player had to grab a sack of gold, carry it up to the top of the shaft, and place it in his bin. Then he dropped back down and grabbed another. The player that grabbed the most sacks of gold from the shaft at the end of one minute won. Jennifer and Perry tied in this game, with two sacks apiece.
Prospecting Sluices (Water Chute)
In this game, each team, one player at a time, had to slide down their sluice on their bellies, grab a piece of gold, and make their way down to the end of the sluice to drop a piece of gold in the bucket. Then the other player would repeat the process. The team with the most gold in their bucket at the end of one minute won. The Blue Barracudas won the game and the full pendant after getting sixteen pieces of Gold in the bucket while the Silver Snakes only gotten fourteen.
|Temple Games Results|
|Team||Game 1||Game 2||Game 3||Pendants Won|
|Blue Barracudas||Tied||Tied||Won||2 Pendants|
|Silver Snakes||Tied||Tied||Lost||1 Pendant|
Before the Temple Run, Jennifer explained the team's strategy as sticking to the bottom floor to retrieve the map— Damian executed this perfectly, even though he was caught by two Temple Guards in the Cave of Sighs and the Throne Room within a mere 25 seconds.However, Jennifer was forced to regroup when the Throne/Spider's Lair door was locked, ascending to the Heart Room and continuing to the Room of the Golden Idols; right after encountering the last Temple Guard, she hugged an idol to no avail, and had to go around the horn to reach the Tomb of the Ancient Kings. With 53 seconds remaining, she got the map and escaped 36 seconds later, despite tripping on some cables by the Temple Gates!
|Temple Run Results|
|Victory||Yes (0:16 left)|
|Reached the Artifact||Yes|
|Temple Guard Locations|
- The original prize plugs for this episode are as follows:
- Fashion Bug (Moat Crossing)
- Spider-Man and X-Men in Arcade's Revenge for Sega Genesis (Steps of Knowledge)
- Sports Works from Software Marketing Corporations (Temple Games)
- John Sutter, while credited with finding gold in the legend, actually was not the man responsible; James W. Marshall actually found gold in California for the first time.
- This was the first episode where contestants must retrieve an artifact placed in the Tomb of the Ancient Kings and the first overall from that roomspace.
- This is the first episode where the Blue Barracudas and the Silver Snakes competed against each other in the Temple Games.
- This was the first episode where a team of Blue Barracudas competed in the Temple Run and subsequently the first episode where a member of the Blue Barracudas able to both grab the artifact and later bring it out of the temple before time expired.
- Jennifer was the only Blue Barracuda who was able to grab an artifact that was placed on the bottom floor.
- This is the first episode where a front runner is removed after entering three rooms.
- This is the only episode where a contestant attempts to hug one of the idols in the Room of the Golden Idols.
- This is the first of three episodes where a team encounters all three Temple Guards and was ultimately able to win the grand prize. The next two are Lawrence of Arabia's Headdress and The Mussel Shell Armor of Apanuugpak.
- Jennifer became the first female player to grab an artifact in the temple and subsequently, the first female to bring it out of the temple before time expired.