|The Diary of Doctor Livingstone|
The diary on the camera-left shelf.
July 27, 1994
Tabitha Stroshein & Brett
The Diary of Doctor Livingstone is the 47th episode of Legends of the Hidden Temple.
In this moat crossing, both players from each team cross the water simultaneously by laying their four boards upon two parallel bars, continually adjusting them as necessary to cross the entire pool.
Steps of Knowledge
The greatest journalist of the 1890s was Henry Stanley, the top reporter for the New York Herald. He was sent to Africa to find Doctor Livingstone, a famous explorer who was feared lost. Legend has it that Stanley worried over how to address Livingstone.
"Hello, Doc?" he asked himself as he boarded ship for Zanzibar. "No, that's too casual." In Zanzibar they said Livingstone was in Unyanyembe, and Henry set off in the middle of the rainy season.
"Doctor, how do you do?" he rehearsed as he wrung out his rain-soaked khakis. "Too stiff." At Unyanyembe they told him Livingstone was in Ujiji, and Henry plunged back into the jungle.
"Pleased to make your acquaintance, Doctor," he practiced as he wrestled with an attacking lion. "Too formal." Finally, at Ujiji, he found the explorer.
"Doctor Livingstone, I presume?" he blurted out, coining a now-famous phrase. "Delighted," said Doctor Livingstone, and gave Henry his diary to prove they had met.
|Steps of Knowledge Results|
|When Stanley finally found Livingstone, did he say…?||
||Blue Barracudas (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Did Livingstone begin his expedition in 1866 to find…?||
||Purple Parrots (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Which of these newspapers sponsored Stanley's search for Livingstone?||
||Purple Parrots (Correct - 1 step left)|
|Stanley's search was actually a publicity stunt for the newspaper. Was that because Livingstone was…?||
||Green Monkeys (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Before Stanley found Livingstone, had Livingstone been gone for…?||
||Blue Barracudas (Correct - 1 step left)|
|Which of these famous waterfalls did Livingstone discover and name?||
||Purple Parrots (Correct - Advanced to Temple Games)|
|Livingstone was the first European to cross which of these deserts?||
||Green Monkeys (Correct - 1 step left)|
|The Congo later became a colony of what country?||
||Blue Barracudas (Wrong Answer)|
|Silver Snakes (Correct - 2 steps left)|
|Which of these British organizations sponsored expeditions to Africa?||
||Green Monkeys (Wrong Answer)|
|Blue Barracudas (Correct - Advanced to Temple Games)|
Where's Doctor Livingstone? (Plugging Holes)
The first game was the simple hole-plugging game where Tabitha and Adrianne had to guess where Doctor Livingstone was, with the five possible locations being Jerusalem, Constantinople, the Caspian Sea, "Baghdad" and Persia. Considering the luck-based nature of the game and the unnecessary canned laughter, it was a boring watch, but at least both players moved fast to get in as many opportunities to score as possible. At the end of sixty seconds, Adrianne correctly located Doctor Livingstone four times, but Tabitha found him six times, earning half Pendant of Life for the Blue Barracudas.
Jewel the Spitting Snake (Squirting Statue)
The second Temple Game was pretty much like the first— not particularly worth watching. Brett and Sean had to race to place a jewel on the hood of the spitting snake— yes, just one jewel, and this episode was the only one to feature that rule. Brett moved rapidly and made it look extremely easy, as he put the jewel on the snake with a whopping 54 seconds to spare, making the fastest Temple Game completion in the show's history. As a result, he won another half Pendant of Life for the Blue Barracudas.
Retrace Henry Stanley's Steps (Slingshot Wall)
The third game asked the teams to retrace Henry Stanley's steps through four locations: Suez, Zanzibar, Unyanyembe and finally Ujiji. The Blue Barracudas led from the beginning, but while trying to catch a shot from Tabitha to cover Ujiji, Brett fell and ended up knocking off the ball that was stuck to "You-yam-bee" as he tried to get back onto the board. It was ruled that they did not need to cover Unyanyembe again, but while the Blue Barracudas did not complete the game in time, the ruling would not have mattered much, as the Purple Parrots only managed to cover up to Zanzibar within the time limit. The most they could have done was tie the game, which still would have given the Blue Barracudas two full Pendants and the win. The Purple Parrots did not win any pendants.
|Temple Games Results|
|Team||Game 1||Game 2||Game 3||Pendants Won|
|Blue Barracudas||Won||Won||Won||2 Pendants|
|Purple Parrots||Lost||Lost||Lost||0 Pendants|
The decision to avoid the high road worked well for the team. Tabitha started off tentatively when she entered the Crypt, but after jumping into the Pit of Despair and meeting her first Temple Guard in the Throne Room, she started to pick up the pace. She smartly tried going up from the Swamp, but that did not work, so she went into the Dark Forest, where a Temple Spirit removed her with 2:04 on the clock.Brett followed Tabitha's path at a medium pace, and tried going up from the Dark Forest. The door did not open, so he put the key back into the tree before going on into the Mine Shaft. Brett did not try the door at the top of the ladder, but rather went directly for the elevator and up into the Viper's Nest. The objective required him to open the snake jars; when two of the jars were opened, the snakes automatically jumped out, but Brett had to pull out the snake from the third jar, which did not automatically jump out at him.
Brett took a very unusual exit route after grabbing the Diary with 45 seconds remaining. He went from the King's Storeroom up into the Observatory, but then went down into Medusa's Lair before going into the Pit of Despair. From there, he crawled through the Ledges and finally made it out of the Temple with just five seconds to spare. Even though these players may not have been the best, they did both manage to win, and in the end, that was all that mattered.
|Temple Run Results|
|Victory||Yes (0:05 left)|
|Reached the Artifact||Yes|
|Temple Guard Locations|
- The second Temple Game had one of the fastest completions, with Brett winning the game in seven seconds.
- This is the first episode where a Blue Barracudas outright win all three of the Temple Games while the opposing team is unable to score.
- This is the only episode where a team of Blue Barracudas attempted to retrieve an artifact placed in the the Shrine of the Silver Monkey.
- This was the only time a runner on the left chooses to go first rather than the one on the right.
- Tabitha was the first contestant to complete the objective of the Crypt.
- This episode marks the first time that a contestant was caught by a temple spirit without a Pendant of Life.
- Tabitha is the first female contestant to be removed by a Temple Guard in the Golden Doors Room.
- Brett is the first contestant to compete the objective of The Viper's Nest.
- Kirk nearly mispronounced the Medusa's Lair in this episode and almost mistook it for the Throne Room when he said when Brett was in the Observatory "Down into the Throne... (gibberish) Medusa's Lair".
- Brett becomes the first contestant to enter all of the rooms in Olmec's Temple. The second would be Randy in The Metal Beard of the Egyptian Queen. Coincidentally, both would take an nearly identical paths to their respective artifact and escape routes.
- This is the third episode with the temple run music going again and the last six notes left out. The first two episodes were Galileo's Cannonball and Wild Bill Hickok and the Dead Man's Hand.
- This is the second and final episode where a team does a shutout against their opponents in the Temple Games and was able to win the Grand Prize. The first was Lawrence of Arabia's Headdress.