|The Treasure Map of Jean Lafitte|
The map on the wall at the front of the Swamp.
October 9, 1993
Aaron Lane & Teri-Kay
One player from each team sat on a floating ring. When Kirk said "go", that player pulled himself across the Moat as quickly as possible using an attached rope. Once across, he stepped off, grabbed the ring, and threw it back to his partner who proceeded to jump on and pull himself across. As soon as the second teammate stepped onto the deck, it was his job to run over and hit the gong.
Steps of Knowledge
The most notorious New Orleans smuggler and gentleman pirate was Jean Lafitte. He was so wealthy that he built his own secret smugglers' colony on the islands south of New Orleans. From there, he raided foreign ships in the Gulf of Mexico. When he attacked some United States ships, the government sent in troops to capture him. He and his crew burned his colony and sailed away. Before he escaped, he buried his fabled treasure in the quicksand along the Suwannee River, and gave the map to a cabin boy, swearing him to secrecy and threatening him with the "pirates' curse" if he ever revealed the location of the treasure. Sixty years later, the cabin boy, now an old man, came with another man and began digging secretly in the swamps along the Suwannee. Some say malaria— some say the pirates' curse— killed the old man's helper and left the old man a muttering old crazy. But legend has it that the map disappeared... until now.
|Steps of Knowledge Results|
|As a pirate, did Lafitte terrorize…?||
||Red Jaguars (Correct - Two steps left)|
|Lafitte was a pirate who worked for different governments. Was he called…?||
||Red Jaguars (Correct - One step left)|
|According to legend, did Lafitte bury his treasure way down along the…?||
||Blue Barracudas (Correct - Two steps left)|
|Did Lafitte help the Americans win…?||
||Green Monkeys (Correct - Two steps left)|
|Did the battle of New Orleans happen during…?||
||Red Jaguars (Wrong Answer)|
|Green Monkeys (Correct - One step left)|
|Later in life, Lafitte founded the city of Galveston. Is Galveston in…?||
||Red Jaguars (Correct - Advanced to the Temple Games)|
|Which of these men led the Americans at the Battle of New Orleans and later became president?||
||Blue Barracudas (Correct - One step left)|
|Which of these could be found in a pirate's treasure?||
||Blue Barracudas (Correct - Advanced to the Temple Games)|
The Blue Barracudas are 11-year-old Teri-Kay and Aaron. The Red Jaguars are 11-year-old Jacqueline and 13-year-old Rex.
Cannonball Drop (Water Ramp)
The first game pitted the boys against each other in a race to push cannonballs up a watery ramp using only their backs. At first, the two were fairly even, but with 45 seconds on the clock, Aaron lost his grip about two-thirds of the way up the ramp and slid all the way down, having to start over. He never managed to catch up, so Rex planted the only cannonball for either team at the top with 14 seconds left, and earned the first half pendant of Life for the Red Jaguars.
Pirate's Gold (Peanut Shaft)
The second game pitted Jacqueline against Teri-Kay in a race to retrieve buried treasure deep in "quicksand"-filled shafts. Neither player was terribly good, but Teri-Kay had an easier time climbing the narrow walls of the shaft from the start. When time expired, she managed to get two pieces of treasure up to the top, while Jacqueline only managed to bring one piece of treasure out of the shaft. So, Teri-Kay won the game for the Blue Barracudas, and the score after two games was a tie, at a half pendant per team.
Pass the Gold (Bungee Soap Line)
The Blue Barracudas were notably faster than the Red Jaguars, but at the 0:25 mark, one of the golden objects rolled off Aaron's helmet; it was declared it did not count, allowing the Red Jaguars the opportunity to even the scores. At the end of the game, both teams had retrieved five golden artifacts, which kept the score at a tie, this time for 1½ Pendants apiece.
Kirk: "Which of these was a sword used by pirates: a windless, a cutlass or a necklace?" Rex rang in and incorrectly answered "A windless?" sending the Blue Barracudas to Olmec's Temple. The correct answer was a cutlass.
|Temple Games Results|
|Team||Game 1||Game 2||Game 3||Pendants Won||Tiebreaker|
|Red Jaguars||Won||Lost||Tied||1½ Pendants||Lost|
|Blue Barracudas||Lost||Won||Tied||1½ Pendants||Won|
Temple RunAaron started in the Room of the Three Gargoyles, but the door at the end of the staircase leading into the Troubled Bridge did not open even though the door within the Room of the Three Gargoyles did. That confused him for a while, but he went back and pushed the other tongues to see if he could get the door to open. When nothing worked, he descended into the Cave of Sighs and entered the Wheel Room with about 2:22 to go. He met the first Temple Guard in the Room of Harmonic Convergence with 2:02 to go, then headed up into the Heart Room and got captured with 1:34 on the clock. Teri-Kay also started by going up, but she managed to pry open the door connecting the Room of the Three Gargoyles and the Troubled Bridge, which did not fully open when Aaron was there. She ended up going into the Observatory, then merging her path with Aaron's by going down into the Heart Room. From there, she progressed into the Treasure Room, where she did not get too confused when the treasure chest would not allow her to climb downward into the Swamp. She entered the Shrine of the Silver Monkey with about thirty seconds to go, but could not finish putting the monkey together before time ran out.
|Temple Run Results|
|Reached the Artifact||No|
|Method of Loss||Failed Acquisition|
|Temple Guard Locations||The Room of Harmonic Convergence|
The Heart Room
The Tomb of the Ancient Kings
|Half Pendant Location||The Heart Room (Semi-Confirmed)|
- The original prize plugs for this episode are as follows:
- Fashion Bug (Moat Crossing)
- UFO for Windows from Software Marketing Corporations (Steps of Knowledge)
- Armitron Looney Tunes Watches (Temple Games)
- When the Blue Barracudas made it down to the bottom level of the Steps of Knowledge, the celebration music did not play.
- This was the first episode where the Temple Games results in a tie with both teams having 1½ Pendants of Life for each team and the only time in Season 1 where this happens.
- This is the first episode where a team of Blue Barracudas participate in the Tiebreaker.
- This is the second and final episode when the winning team goes to Olmec's Temple by virtue of the other team answering the tiebreaker question incorrectly. The first episode was The Keys to the Alhambra.
- Coincidentally, the Red Jaguars competed in the Temple Games in both episodes.
- This is the first episode where a team of Blue Barracudas defeated a team of Red Jaguars in the Temple Games to compete in the Temple Run.
- The is the first episode where a team other than the Silver Snakes went after an artifact in the room that featured the Swamp, the Spider's Lair, the Bamboo Forest, the Holes of Python, and the Jester's Court.
- This is the first of two episodes where a team of Blue Barracudas attempted to retrieved an artifact placed in the Swamp. The second was The Stone Head of the Evil King.
- This is the last episode in Season 1 where a team of Blue Barracudas competed in the Temple Run with 1½ Pendants and would be the last episode until The Mummified Hand of the Egyptian King.
- Teri-Kay is the first player to take a different route towards the room her partner got taken out of the temple. This will occur again in The Thornwood Gavel of Judge Roy Bean.
- The Orange Iguanas and Silver Snakes later appeared in The Paintbrush of Leonardo da Vinci, respectively as the Red Jaguars and Blue Barracudas.